Tuesday, April 6, 2010

For Many Nights



On many evenings, for many nights,
I have sat on this jacaranda tree branch,
Watching you in your shanty town
Just over the hills

I remember when the nest was warm,
Surrounded by the purple flowers
You could here our morning singing
You always asked for more
We always gave you more.

Perched right here I haven’t blinked once,
Even after the kerosene lamps went out,
And suddenly I was alone,
Vulnerable to this Nairobi night wind,
My greatest allies are the soft feathers on my chest.

These hills that grow between us,
Are made by man and God
Are made of red earth and trash

On many evenings, for many nights,
I have sat on this jacaranda tree branch,
You could never tell by looking at me,
But I feel I’m about to fly.


~For Fla, Fan, Foyo, Faith, and Flora
For our mother
And even for our father

No comments:

Post a Comment